University of Virginia
Required Education: 4-Year Degree
The University of Virginia (UVA), Facilities Management, invites applications for the position of Assistant Director of Regulatory Compliance. Reporting to the Director of Health System Physical Plant, this individual will provide leadership and direction for all regulatory compliance functions for which Facilities Management maintains responsibility. This position will provide regulatory compliance oversight for a portfolio of approximately seven million square feet of patient care, research, and academic space. They will interpret codes for Environment of Care and Life Safety regulations for UVA Health as well as implement some PM programs designed to streamline compliance. This position would be the liaison for TJC Life Safety surveyor, Fire Marshal, CMS surveyors, and CDC inspectors.
UVA Health facilities include a 700-bed hospital, Level I trauma center, nationally recognized cancer and heart centers, and primary and specialty clinics throughout Central Virginia. The UVA School of Medicine is part of UVA Health, and is a national leader in medical education and research. The primary offices supported are the Medical Center’s Chief of Environment of Care, and the School of Medicine’s Office of Capital and Facilities Planning.
The Department is responsible for operating within developed and approved budgets, scopes and schedules as needed to meet University objectives. Departmental expenditures are approximately $40 million.
The successful candidate will be a recognized leader who is highly proficient in developing strategies, setting goals, allocating resources, and providing innovative solutions to complex issues. They will possess a strong background in Joint Commission Compliance Environment of Care standards.
Leading the Team:
- Directs a major component of Facilities Management at the UVA. All duties are performed independently under the supervision of the Director.
- Supervise a professional staff; providing outstanding facilities management support within approved budgets for all aspects of regulatory compliance management.
- Build upon and reinforce the Facilities Management culture of continuous improvement.
- Continue to build partnerships across the UVA community and beyond.
- Consistently strive to insure a safe work environment through education, assessment, and the demonstrated observance of sound safety practices.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
The successful candidate possesses a demonstrated record of regulatory compliance knowledge and experience within complex environments with the highest level of commitment to advancing the organization’s goals.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Extensive experience with large, complex academic health care center (or equivalent) operations involving Joint Commission, life safety, ADA, NIH, and environmental codes is required.
- Certification as a Certified Healthcare Facility Manager is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience in a variety of facilities management competency areas, including facilities planning, design, procurement, construction, operations and maintenance is preferred.
- Extensive experience in managing large, complex facilities with intradepartmental and interdepartmental cooperation and support is required.
- Exceptional writing, communication, interpersonal and organization skills required.
UVa Facilities Management:
Facilities Management supports the University of Virginia’s wide range of research, academic, and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair, and maintenance of UVA’s buildings, infrastructure, and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties. Facilities Management is comprised of four core areas of expertise: Facilities Planning & Construction, Health System Physical Plant, Operations, and Project Services. Four management services departments support the internal operations of Facilities Management: Finance, Programs & Informatics, Safety, and Technology & Innovation.
The anticipated hiring range for this position is $110,000 – $125,000.
This position is open until filled.
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Gay Lynn Tonelli, Recruiter, at email@example.com.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.